Friday 25 April 2014

I wish I had made that...

For this blog entry I have chosen a ring by jeweller, Ruth Tomlinson from her 'Encrustations' collection.

Retailing for £750, this ring is made with a base of sterling silver and decorated with gold, peridot, aquamarine and antique beads.
This price seems very reasonable for a unique piece of jewellery made using a variety of techniques. A quick internet search for jewellery of a similar price shows a long list of far less imaginative pieces.
The amount of detail in all of Tomlinson's work is amazing, she shows an obvious affinity with the materials and talks about her passion for drawing attention to minute details, which is a theme I also find fascinating. I like how her work has the ability to appear both glamorous and natural in style.
At first it seemed that this piece had no relation to my own work, but after considering the layering of decoration, and the encrusting; embellishing and opulent style shown in the design, it becomes easy to draw a comparison, particularly in my latest work with the layers of glaze, lustres and transfers which I used to create this type of luxurious style. 
Her website is definitely worth a browse: http://ruthtomlinson.com/







No comments:

Post a Comment